MythTV XMLTV grabber errors after upgrade

Posted on

I recently yum’d my machine from FC5 to FC6, which went surprisingly well. Around the same time, MythTV 0.20.2 was released so I upgraded that as well.

However, at that point mythfilldatabase started erroring, and so my guide data was not updating. I did a few manual updates which would work fine, but the overnight job would always fail.

Looking through the logs I saw this message.

  [Mon Sep 10 02:06:50 2007] Retrieving listings: 100%
  [Mon Sep 10 02:06:50 2007] Retrieving listings: 100%
  progress bar already finished at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/XMLTV/ProgressBar.pm line 70
  2007-09-10 02:06:50.156 ------------------ End of XMLTV output -----------------
  -
  2007-09-10 02:06:50.169 FAILED:  xmltv returned error code 65280.

It would never occur from an interactive shell, only from the overnight job, so I had a look at the options for the grabber to see if it would run silent, in the hope that it wouldn’t do the progress bar thingy, but the problem is that the grabber is a sub-process of mythfilldatabase.

After some delving I found that you can pass arguments to the grabber with –graboptions

So, my current config is a crontab like this, with the scheduled task in myth disabled.

  /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --graboptions "--quiet"

That seems to have worked perfectly for nearly three weeks, so I’ll look at implementing that into the mythfill setup in myth rather than running it from crontab.

I just thought it might be of use to someone.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “MythTV XMLTV grabber errors after upgrade

    Robin said:
    December 11, 2007 at 08:58

    Hi,
    Thanks for this post. I had previously build Myth using Jarod Wilsons instructions. A few months back I re-built using MythDora (after a disk failed) and everything worked fine, except for mythfill. Your tip has solved that problem. Many thanks.
    Robin

    netwolfuk said:
    December 11, 2007 at 11:36

    Glad it worked for you Robin. Considering you’re on MythDora, maybe it’s a RedHat specific bug.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s